Programme: English Language Teaching (60 ЕCTS)
Department: Languages, Cultures and Communications
The objective of this ELT program is to provide students with solid knowledge of methodological theory and familiarize them with the skills necessary for application of the theory into teaching practice.
The selection of individual subjects reflects the current trends in second language acquisition as well as the identified local and regional instructional needs and necessities. The program is primarily designed for graduates of English as a foreign language who wish to specialize and develop their skills in EFL pedagogy. There are also research components (both qualitative and quantitative), academic, as well as "modern research" conducted in the classroom itself.
Many graduate students on the program will have already embarked on their teaching careers. To facilitate this, classes take place at the weekend, outside of normal working hours. Many of our courses offer specialist training that English instructors will find useful, such as: FLT methodology, Classroom Management, Pedagogical Grammar and Writing, Computer Assisted Language Learning and Needs Analysis. It is based on the best principles of modern teacher training from the Anglophone world applied in a Balkan context.
While this program is designed specifically with the needs of English teachers in mind, this program is also effective at providing students with the skills needed for advanced academic research, and can therefore also be useful for students intending to become translators, critics, copy editors, or writers.
The program offers two semesters of taught instruction, followed by the research and writing of a Masters thesis. The thesis process will involve the student in close collaboration with a PhD mentor from the Department, and will enable the student to write an extensive work of research upon a subject of his or her interest. This enables the student to develop, and to demonstrate, the abilities to conduct research, synthesize material, and to write an extensive analysis. These skills, together with the pedagogical expertise gained in this program, have wide applications in the modern marketplace.
Knowledge and understanding
- There is advanced English Language Teaching Methodology.
- There is a deep knowledge of the theory of gaining a second / foreign language.
- Demonstrate knowledge of English grammar and composition of English from a pedagogical point of view.
- Knows and understands taking computer-assisted learning languages and taking an active part in improving its use.
- Recognizes different pedagogical strategies in teaching writing.
- Has knowledge of writing a research paper, presentation and refinement.
Applying knowledge and understanding
- Teaches English effectively in a theoretically informed way.
- Applies the principles for the acquisition of foreign/second language in the classroom environment using appropriate learning methodologies.
- Designing curriculum and plan class appropriate for specific teaching contexts, for example, teaching younger students (less than 12 years) or adult teaching, business English.
- To use, adapt and create authentic educational materials for use in the foreign language classroom.
- To use technology effectively and to create a simple multi-media or web-based language tools for practical use in the language classroom, for example, word games with the help of computer.
- То еxpress critically for the studied material and the experience of teaching / learning in the classroom.
- To identify the potencial difficulties in relation to issues of acquisition of the mother tongue in the classroom of English as a foreign language.
- To choose appropriate and relevant materials through informed awareness of students' needs.
- To make decisions about the potential difficulties of various aspects of the English language: making time and verb, definite / indefinite articles, prepositions, other grammatical categories, idioms and expressions, lexical collocations and word formation.
- To make a complex methodological score in research design and to distinguish between different methods of data collection and data analysis, which is related to language and linguistics?
- Has an excellent knowledge of English pronunciation.
- Is able to produce well-structured and clearly written academic papers.
- Is capable to present and elaborate on common problems involved in teaching and learning English as a foreign language.
- Can give adequate explanations of linguistic concepts in English.
- Shows communication competence in the classroom in terms of quality of teaching, classroom management and organization.
- Shows initiative and autonomy in professional teaching roles.
- Is able to self-monitor and adjust teaching methods in accordance with certain situations.
- Adaptable to different cultural and interpersonal circumstances in the classroom of English as a foreign language.
- Initiates and completes an independent research work of high academic standards within a set period of time.
- Demonstrate leadership and instructional ability in conducting effective dissemination of knowledge to others.